New Zealand 5 cent coin pendant mounted in a 14 kt gold filled bezel. Includes a 14 kt gold filled oval link chain 18 inch necklace. The pendant length is about 1 inch. Width, 3/4 inch.
The reverse shows an an image of Tuatara reptile curled on a coastal rock on which is superimposed the figure "5".
The obverse (front of coin) shows Queen Elizabeth II.
Tuataras like cool weather making them unusual reptiles. They do not survive well over 25 degrees centigrade (77 degree Fahrenheit) but can live below 5 degree centigrade (41 degree Fahrenheit), by hibernating in burrows. New Zealand's climate is just right. Tuataras have been around since New Zealand separated from the rest of the world 100 million years ago. As a consequence no predators were able to cross the ocean enabling the survival of the Tuatara reptile. These reptiles can now be found in New Zealand's outlying islands and some on the mainland under protection.
* Coin composition: Copper and nickel
* Denomination: 5 cent.
* Coin weight 2.83 grams.
* Coin diameter: 20 mm
* Mint year: 1978.
* Reverse: Tuatara reptile curled on a coastal rock on which is superimposed the figure "5".
* Obverse: Queen Elizabeth II, New Zealand, and the mint year.
* Pendant length, 1 inch. Width 3/4 inch.
* Necklace, 18 inch, 14 kt gold filled.