This is a 100 Lira Italian coin dated 1976 mounted into a handmade 14kt gold filled bezel. A 14kt gold filled corrugated bail is used to attach the coin pendant to a 14kt yellow gold filled oval link chain necklace, width of chain is 2.2mm. The gold filled chain necklace is 20 inches long and is adjustable to 19 inches; Made in the USA.
A special gold filled bezel wire is used to make this handmade bezel; the outside wire is rounded while the inside of the wire is grooved so that the coin fits inside the bezel. Once the bezel wire is cut, the two ends are filed then soldered together using hard gold solder, then polished. The coin then is placed within the bezel. The top of the bezel is then shaped into a loop to accommodate a gold filled bail.
The Italian lira was Italys currency from 1861-2002. During the years 1999-2002 it was the national subunit of the Euro. In 2002, Italy converted to the Euro currency. The 100 Lira coin was minted in the years of 1955 to 1989.
On the reverse of the coin is the image of the Roman Goddess Minerva (Athena in Greek mythology) holding an olive tree facing left. The Roman goddess of wisdom, medicine, the arts, science and trade, but also of war. Just below this image is the year the coin was minted, 1976. To the right of this image is the letter R, meaning that it was minted in Rome. To the left of this image is the denomination of the coin, L.100.
On the obverse side (front portion of the coin) are the words REPVBBLICA ITALIANA and a portrait of Minerva with a wreath around her head facing left. Underneath the head in very tiny print are the names of the designers of the coin, Giuseppe Romagnoli, Pietro Giampaoli. Only the last names of the two designers are imprinted on the coin.
* Italian coin is a 100 Lire.
* Date 1976.
* Weight of coin is 8 grams.
* Coin Diameter is 27.8mm (almost one inch).
* Mint: Rome
* Coin is made of a stainless steel alloy (consisting mostly of Iron, with 0.14% Carbon, 17.5-19% Chrome, 0.50% Magnesium, 1.15% Silicium).
* Length of pendant from top to bottom is about 1.5 inch long.
* Width of pendant is 29mm or 1.14 inches
* Coin bezel is 14kt yellow gold filled, with a 14kt gold filled bail.
* Necklace is 14kt yellow gold oval link chain, 20 inches long, adjustable to 19 inch.
* Width of necklace chain is 2.2mm.
* 14kt gold filled lobster claw clasp.